Friday, June 5, 2009

The 58th Way to Injure a Body Part and How I Got My Mojo Back


Recently, I've been in the dumps, down the rabbit hole, on the tower, out of sorts, etc., etc., etc. I don't know why exactly, a whole variety of reasons.

But the thing is, I'm really lucky, I have so many good and fortunate things in my life. My life, when everything is said and done, has been pretty easy. So that just makes me feel even worse, knowing how good I have it and then to still feel droopy. So many people have so many more reasons to feel down.....what is my problem?

The other annoying thing going on is the constant parade of aches and pains, this's and that's, I have in one place or the other.....knee, hip, shoulder. All of these are "sometimes" things and not serious, but honestly, it seems like it's always something. Bah humbug.

I know that for me one of the best feelings I get is when I try something new or figure out how to do something I've never done before. It's such a kick to "get it"......and "just do it".

A challenge. And a sense of accomplishment.

The other day I changed all 6 of the elements (heating coils) in my kiln. I was a little afraid of doing this....it involves electricity, which I'm a little scared of....and I didn't want to screw up and fry my kiln.....or myself.....or my house. It involved following a list of about 12 steps, including a, b, c, d mini-substeps. The one time it was done before, Steve mostly did it with me assisting.

But I needed to get it done yesterday in order to fire the kiln before a show this weekend and he was out of town. So this time I flew solo.

Actually, replacing the elements wasn't so hard. It was straightforward when everything went according to plan and the two elements in the top level went really smoothly. Ha cha, almost singing, it was that easy. Yippee me.

Unfortunately, in the bottom level, of course! the bottom, things went haywire and multiple problems developed.....like breaking off the main bolt while forcing a nut....haha, the bolt that all the wires are connected to. S*&t! And there were pieces of the old element glaze-stuck in the hard-to-reach element channel way down there in the inside bottom of the kiln.

I needed to chisel this stuff out. While hanging over the side of the kiln. Dangling upside down. Super hard and awkard and rediculous- looking. What a pain!

While dangling and trying to get to this almost impossible-to-reach place, something sort of rolled in my side, causing, I don't know.....a bruised rib or muscle or something. Ouch!.....though it's not actually so bad, it catches me up short sometimes, like if I cough or when I get up out of a chair. Can't do the ab stuff in excercise class either. Oh darn.

But the cool thing is, I got all the elements changed......I DID IT! After gerry-rigging, dangling, cussing, sweating-it, almost giving up, I got the job done. And right now, this very minute, the kiln is up to temperature.....2200 F. No smoke, no fire alarms, no burned down house.....heating right up there where it's supposed to be. Weehaa.

(Singing now).....I feel good......dooda dooda dooda doot!! So good! So good!

So dangling over the side of a kiln is the 58th oddball way you can injure yourself . But I don't even care really, about that catch in my side. Every time I feel that thing I'll remember that I DID IT! and by doing it, I felt so good, so good.... I got my mojo back.

No comments: