Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Relief Etched in Snow

I find the pattern of these curved lines quite beautiful....an abstract image of intersecting arches.  But in this instance there's much more.....


"He's 50 years old....you'd think we could quit worrying about him now!"  So goes the punchline of one of my favorite parenting stories.  I've told it hundreds of times.  It's so true.  When I first heard this as the naive mother of a one year old, I had no idea how the worry and care for our children goes on and on and on.

The other night, a snowy, icy, slippery night, Ariel was driving the 2nd twelve hour leg of her journey home from Denver, CO.  She was driving alone, long hours across the cold winter country.  Far.  (Stop if you feel tired!  Chew Gum!  Break the drive into 3 pieces!).  The solitary distance was worry enough, until the snow and ice developed.  Most of the storm was to the north, but there was enough snow on the roads to be slick.  Scary.  I deployed the Shield of Worry; it was heavy.

Tapping at our bedroom door at 1:30 in the morning, Ariel woke us to let us know she'd arrived.  Certainly, I was awash with relief that she'd made it.

The next morning, knowing that she was upstairs sleeping, home safe, I noticed the tire tracks in the snow; the story of her car pulling into the driveway, backing up and then parking at the curb in front of our house.  Safe.  Again I was overtaken with gratitude, my relief etched in cathedral arcs of tire tracks on the surface of the snow.

                                                  ******************************


A few days later the tracks were still there in the icy street, the glow of streetlights reflected in the grooves.


A couple of others:

****Standing in the Brown's hallway, listening to the happy sounds from the Soup Party in the next room....the burble of excited conversation and laughter flowing from the wellspring of friendship.

****Lying in my warm bed listening to the wind howl and swoosh through the trees outside.  I know I have to go out there soon, but right NOW, in this MOMENT, I'm cozy in a warm bed sandwich.

No comments: