Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Oh how I Wish I Could Speak German!











I've taken many wonderful photos as you can well imagine. It's very beautiful. Everywhere I turn there's another picture. Twisty, turning streets, church steeples afar.

I really wish that I knew a least a smattering of German. I don't. And it seems way too hard to try....and I'll tell you why. It's a rule here that every word must have at least 4 syllables. There are only three words in the whole German language that are less than 3 syllables.....and they went to jail for it. I should learn those words, though. Of course, I exaggerate, of course.

I bought a box of tea the other day.....red bush tea! (I'm getting younger every day!) and there's a word on this tea....get ready now.....

"doppelkammerbeutel". Holy mackeral! My mouth can't even get around that when I'm looking at it.

But that's nothing. I saw this sign......

"Anderungsschneiderei".....yes, try to say that 5 times fast....or even once.

This was at a church......

"Stadtkirchengemeinde"......Ya, un-huh!

But this is the longest of all....well, so far....I'm on a hunt for the longest word out there, I'm sure it's there just waiting to trip up a poor foreigner's tongue.
This one is the 23! letter monster word, found just in a regular neighborhood, not even in a museum....

"Feuerwehraufstellflache"

So you see, what's the point of even trying. I think, actually, that there's a root word with adjectives and modifiers stuck on there. Where we might use 4 words, in German it's one long huge word.

I've included some photos of these words just to verify. I could send photos of beautiful sights, but oh well, another day.

Also, there's a photo of these kids at the tram stop. Oh man, they were cute! Imagine the little guy (in bulky snowsuit!) on the left end climbing face forward onto the seat with only 10" of space at the end of the bench, turning around and then un-sticking his leg out from under his other leg. Two minutes of concentrated effort. But he didn't fall. He did it. What persistance. He'll know all those German words in no time.....even the really big ones.

No comments: