Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Eye-Popping Amish Sights!

I traveled back and forth down Rt. 772 to Wilmington, DE four times this past weekend. It was a lot. But the scenery is great, there through Amish country....like a postcard. Tunnels of corn. Yep, the corn is as high as an elephant's eye as they say in Oklahoma. And I saw some really unusual sights, two of which were within 1/4 mile of each other. Truly eye-popping!

I don't know how it works with mules. They're sterile, right? Does this mean that they're asexual? I'm not sure, I'm not that up on muleology. But I found out that they definitely HAVE a sex life. Most definitely! I was just coming out of a corn tunnel when there in the pasture on the right was one mule mounted on another mule....OK...having sex. I've seen this before.....interesting, but not anything to write home about. But THEN, Mule #3 hopped on board, mounting Mule #2. Holy Mackeral!, it was a Mule Menage a Trois! This was quite a stack-up! I'm wondering how Mule #1 felt about all this....that's definitely a heavy load if you're the mule on the bottom. Truly, I am NOT making this up. I would never think of a thing like this....EVER! I do wonder now, thinking about it, I wonder if farmer Stolzfus is aware that sometimes there's Mule hanky panky....a mule threesome even!.... out there in his field.

I kid you not, I went around the curve, it couldn't have been more than 1/4 of a mile when I came upon the next great sight there on the left. It was a giant Amish CUPCAKE!! There was this little, small, tiny miniature horse straining to pull this cart up the driveway incline to the main road. This poor little guy (or gal) was having quite a struggle trying to get his footing in the gravel to make it up that little hill with his load. The cart was a small straight-sided yellow homemade wagon, probably built with 6 year-olds in mind. But in this cart were two very sturdy older teenaged Amish girls, round-faced, billowing over the top of the cart sides. My first thought was "muffin" but with their bottoms and pastel dresses swelling over the edges of the cart, I swear, it looked like icing, a confection, a cupcake. Except that I felt sorry for the little horse pulling his giant cupcake, I would've been really laughing...actually, I was laughing, but felt a little cruel about it. So I was quite relieved, when I looked back in my rear-view mirror, to see that he'd made it up the gravel drive and was actually pulling the cupcake down the flatter, paved, main road.

No comments: