Monday, December 14, 2009

Learning to Moonwalk

Though I'd appreciated what Michael Jackson had done for pop music, I'd never really been a big Michael Jackson fan. But a few weeks ago I went to see "This Is It", the documentary about Michael getting ready for his scheduled tour. I loved the movie and instantly became a Michael Jackson fan. Oh what a shame! It's too late now!


The other day in step class someone mentioned the Moonwalk......yeah.....yeah.....the Moonwalk. That's something everyone should know how to do. I want to do the Moonwalk.....in some kind of BAD way. Everyone THINKS they know how to do it, but can't really produce it when put on the spot.


So I've been looking up videos on Youtube and getting instruction that way. And practicing around the clock. Well, not ALL the time, but say, when I'm in the kitchen waiting for water to boil for tea or for bagels to toast.


It's way harder than it looks and certainly way harder than Michael makes it look. But I'm pretty sure he had extra slippery Moonwalking shoes.


It's sort of like trying to rub your stomache and pat your head at the same time.


I've mostly been practicing in the kitchen, I guess waiting for some food thing to reach it's optimum minute. I always have to remember to watch out for Rosie's water dish.....I've Moonwalked right into that a few times, sending the bowl crashing into the radiator and sloshing water everywhere. But then, at least, the floor gets good and slippery.


Maybe that's the ticket! If I flooded the kitchen floor with water, I could become an expert Moonwalker really fast.


As it is, I'm getting pretty darn good and I'm proud of it. I can do about 5 or 6 steps backward....at least as far as the dog's water bowl.....before I flub it up.


Once I can get to say, 25 feet, of Moonwalking, I'll be ready to say I can actually do it. That's down the hall, into the kitchen and all the way to end where the water bowl is.


I'm gonna go see how far I make it right now.......
Hahahahaha! I think I need slipperier socks......and turning that corner into the kitchen is really a mess-up too. Hahahahaha! And I have to think too much. Oh well, I'll keep practicing and let you know.....

No comments: