Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Putting Out the SIGN

Last week, or the week before, I brought home an Obama sign that I'd gotten at the Cafe Chocolate where a meeting of Democrats was taking place when I got there. I usually don't want to put my political views on parade....I also didn't want to stick my feelings into my good neighbors' noses. I had assumed that most of the people in my neighborhood, being typical Lancaster County residents, were staunchly Republican. I like my neighbors and didn't want to offend them with shouting, figuratively, my political views. But I really feel like this election is SO important. Our country needs so deperately to turn in a different direction .....a direction that is conciliatory and inclusive rather than divisive. And I believe Obama is the best candidate to do this. SO, I put out my sign. It felt good....and a little brave. I'd made my statement.

Much to my surprise, the very next day, my postman knocked on my door to tell me he LOVED my sign and he hoped that Obama would be our next president. A couple of days later, my next door neighbors asked where I got the sign because they wanted one. Whoa! I would've never guessed they'd want one in a million years. They're ready for a change. A couple of days later, a sign appeared at the driveway of the folks who live behind me. Astonishing! Yesterday, I went to get a sign for my next-door neighbor....I wanted him to have one, to put it in the ground.....a sort of signing on the dotted line, a proclamation of committment. When I went over to give him the Obama sign, he once again asked where you can get one because he'd been talking to the guy who lives a couple of doors down....and he also wants a sign. These things are amazing to me. Not only did I think I'd never hear this from my neighbors, but for them to actively want to announce their intention is a total surprise. And so refreshing. And it also gives me pause in holding on to my preconceived notions as to who these people are. Maybe I was wrong in assuming things about them all along. Hmmmm.....put out a statement, an opinion ....and you can learn a lot by the response that you get. Mostly, all this time, in an effort to not offend anyone, I've stuck with only exchanging opinions with the choir. I think it's time to branch out and learn.....

No comments: