Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Goth Baby

There's a place in the train station where the Goth Kids, the ones all dressed in black with a lot of chainery, hang out. It's at the top of the stairs from the U9 and U14 platform. They've never bothered anybody that I know of. They just hang out there together, maybe 12 to 15 kids.....older teenagers. There are always security guys around keeping an eye on things, but it doesn't seem like it's a problem.....no one's hasseling anyone else.

Mostly they seem to gather later in the day, at 4 or 5 and they are always gone if I come back through in the evening.

But I haven't seen these kids much lately. Maybe they go outside now that the weather is warming up. Or maybe they've found a better place to hang out. Actually, I miss seeing them there.

The other day, though, there was a Goth Couple with a baby carriage. The young man was tall and, of course, dressed in black from head to toe. Heavy black boots with big buckles. He had shaved his head on the sides leaving his hair in a mohawk which stood on end, up, straight up, about 2 inches tall. Tall black spikey mohawk.

And I swear, I think he had black lips. In my mind's eye he does at any rate. That's how I see it.

The young woman was in black too, of course, and I know for sure that she had on thick black lipstick. And black fingernail polish. She had on a long black wool topcoat covering a black skirt that came down to the top of her boots. She also had on big silver jewelry that hung down to her waist. Her black hair must've been dyed, it was that black. It came down to her waist too, shiny and sleek. Her face looked so pale with all the black surrounding it.

The baby carriage was red....blood red. When I first saw the scene, I expected the baby inside to have on a black one-piece terry-tog (as if you could get such a thing) with a tiny black sweatshirt. In my imagination this baby had lots of black hair already and yeah, I even thought about black lips or teeth, kind of like an "Adams Familly" baby.

But when I peeked in, this baby was beautiful and pink with chubby cheeks and wispy, tufty blond hair. And her fingers were that little baby, shiny-finger pink.

She wasn't wearing any black at all. No, she had on a pastel pink sweatshirt with darker, tiny pink hearts on it.

Her dad, obviously he was her dad, was bending over the carriage with his black, spikey mohawk and black lips, and as I got closer I could hear him cooing at this soft, chubby pink baby, laughing and talking to her.

Very Sweetly.

No comments: