Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Waiting for the kiln to cool.....





This is worse than being a kid waiting for Christmas morning! Waiting for the kiln to cool down when you've got a bunch of new tests in there is excruciatingly hard. In the past, I would of opened it anyway, even though the temp is 470 degrees. I CAN go ahead and get stuff out if I use thick leather work gloves and potholders. It's been done. I've burned my hands.....through the gloves. I've burned my dining room tabletop too....the new table that my Mother-in-law gave us.....circles of burn where bowls were brought out and set down too soon.....oh, yiyiyi! So I wait. It's really hard though. Lately I've been having a terrible time making myself go down to the basement and work.....never mind that my shops keep calling asking for more stuff. I'm grateful for that but it's just that I need something new and exciting to be happening pottery-wise to be motivated to get myself in gear. So let's hope there's something good in the kiln this morning when I FINALLY open it. Oh good grief, it's now at 431 d. Auggghhhh! At this rate it'll be another hour and a half before I can open it wide enough to actually see inside. But once I do, most of those tests are down there in the middle somewhere.....hot shelves, hot pots....I feel a burn coming on. I CAN'T WAIT ANY MORE!!!!

No comments: