Saturday, March 29, 2008

Whew! They finally came up!!






My own personal "First sign of Spring" JUST came up yesterday! Whew! Of course, all that other expected stuff has been happening for weeks now. I have dafodils that are almost ready to bloom....yah!


BUT, I had bulbs that I bought from a neighbor kid that I didn't plant when I got them in October. No, they sat in their brown paper bag under the counter with the microwave making me feel guilty for months. I saw that bag everyday and knew I should plant them. So

WHY-OH-WHY didn't I plant them in Oct., Nov, or Dec.? I have NO idea....this is the killer. 20 minutes of planting and I didn't do it......hmmmmph! I do this kind of thing all the time.....spring plants drying out in their little containers, secretly flung on the compost heap when they just can't go on without water any longer.....they were so beautiful when I bought them. What a waste! Oh the guilt!


BUT finally, after watching the ground where I finally planted those bulbs on a warm day (thank God for that!) in January, those tardy dafodils (really, I shouldn't blame the plants) have broken through the surface! When I spotted them a giant wave of relief washed over me. I didn't kill them! And this morning there are more of them, oh halleluiah!...these tough babies have finally hatched. My other dafodils are about twelve inches tall and showing yellow.....the tardies are about one inch. I don't know, will they bloom at four inches, will they be stunted forever? It'll be interesting to see. But now they are my favorites and I'm so happy to see them that I wish I could do something special for them.....maybe.... bake them a cake.


And I promise, from now on, from this moment forward, I will always plant things when I get them....right away. And I'll water everything when it needs it too. And I promise to always pick all the fruit before it goes bad...and the tomatoes too. And I promise that from now on I'll always be organized and on time and thrifty and neat and on schedule and thoughtful and courageous and brave and.....well, all of it, all the things you're supposed to be to be a good scout!

No comments: