Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Fat Tuesday

The first inkling I had that something was up was Friday when I saw these little witches across the street. Then I started seeing spiderman and elephants at the Ubahn stop. And a whole herd of cowgirls (cowgirls?) in red. What is going on?!!




Then there was Mr. Corn on the plaza! I love fruits and vegetables that become people!
All weekend there were signs.....more costumed people.....extra doughnuts at the bakery.....ah-HA! Faustnachts I bet....only here they're called Sparbacks. On Konigstrassee there are stands for crepes and, of course, wursts.....roasted corn, yes....and nuts....and gluhwein (hot mulled wine) even, up at the end.
This morning when I crossed Konigstrasse, there were balloon people and a feeling that something was about to happen.
When I got back to the plaza, drums were beating and loud music was playing from a large speaker and people were congregating. There was an announcer up in a 4th floor window evidently saying funny stuff.....people were laughing.
Mr. Announcer yelled, in English, "ARE YOU READY TO PARTY?!" And then the music, I kid you not, was that John Denver song, "Take me Home Country Road"....."take me home mountain mama....to the place ......where I belong.....WEST VIRGINIA!" and EVERYONE, everyone on the plaza started singing! HA! Mr. Announcer, in his big fancy chief berger hat, was singing and bopping along too. HA!
I saw lots of groups getting ready. This is the group I want to be part of. I first saw them jumping up and down .....and dancing.....up at the end, near the gluhwein stand.



Right after I took this photo, the top woman slid right off to the ground. Too much gluhwein? Well, they were havin' a LOT of fun!
I could tell a parade was gathering. I waited and WAITED for that parade to begin. That's the thing.....I had no idea what time the parade started, I couldn't ask anyone either.....I woulda gone to get some coffee......or something warm! If I'd known it was 2 hours.....
But there was a lot of getting ready before the parade....singing, waving arms, oompah jumping up and down, drinking....stuff. Eating, laughing at the announcer who musta been a riot....
Parade starts....lots....and lots of bands. Oompa, some. Again, "Country Roads"! Must be a hit in Stuttgart. And a really fun song......something flies, something swims in the river and, I think, something climbs.....and then lots of crowd arm waving and finger pointing to the sky. Looks like great fun! Better than the Chicken Dance.



Wolf pyramid.....




A slogan we all know! I heard this said by the announcer several times....





HA! What's wrong with this picture?! There were several "Native American" groups....and covered wagons. And several Confederate flags too.....I'm confused....






Colorful Mardi Gras Band. Lots of drum from many of the bands....very cool.







Crowd scene. Very warm, friendly, fun crowd. Lots of confetti, lots of plastic squeeze string. Lots of bonhommie.
But no Naked Bike Riders.....


















No comments: