Friday, February 20, 2009

On the Tower!

For all of you with vertigo issues.....just remember, these are only photos!


Since going up steps has become a serious interest....some might even say obsession....I'm branching out into going up towers as well as hillsides. This beautiful tower, the Schlaich Tower on Killesberg, unfortunately, wasn't open.....due to the slippery conditions of the snowy ground. I hope it'll open before I leave. [I don't know how many steps :( ]



This is a tower we could go up. [1282!!! steps, whooo doggies!] It's the TV tower, visible from about anywhere in Stuttgart.


That's a long way up! [1282 steps!]



The view down.....I'm trying to see where we live.....wait, wait! See that little triangle, past that hill and then a little to the right and up from that squarish church tower? Left cornerish in the photo....



Zooming in, zooming in. I think that's it! See the church with the copper green steeple right in the middle of the photo? That's the church we see when we come out the alley between the two buildings from our apartment!! Holy carumba, this is almost as good as NASA or whatever group took that amazing photo that Terry showed us. Am I sure that's our church? No, but I'm going to say it is anyway, and I'm stickin to it!




Train Station Tower. I had a heck of time finding it.....I thought the tower was in the middle of the station. So much for paying attention. A most wonderful display with the most amazing model I've ever seen on one of the floors going up. [369 steps!]






The view down Konigstrasse from the Train Tower...







St. Peter's Church Tower, Munich.....very narrow and rickety steps..... [308 steps]








Anna and Steve made it to the top and had a good look-down.








The Rathaus (City Hall) Tower in Rothenburg. If you look close, you can see people at the tower at the top.









These are the steps we just came up. HA! You'd never see this allowed in the US.










Or this! Finally out the top hatch. I'm thinking I should be able to count each of these steps as two. hmmm......[204 steps].












That was a little dicey getting out here, but the view is always worth it. That tower was so narrow, you couldn't possibly pass anyone without going out on the railing. Oh no! I wouldn't! I love this....












I really, really hope this tower is open at some point while I'm here. I want to count those steps! And feel that thing sway. It's only supported at the bottom by a ball the diameter of the central pole. Oh, and all the cables....well, thank goodness.
PS....I'm sad to report that I lied about the 1282 steps on the TV tower. There are no steps open to the public. You have to go up the elevator. Pooh. But at least I'm fessing up to it now. I debated about it.













No comments: