Friday, February 6, 2009

Up the Stairs.....and down....and UP!

This is the coolest thing! Oh man I love it!


Stuttgart is a city in the valley of the Neckar River. With hills, big, great hills on every side. There used to be grapes growing on the hillsides and stairs were put into the hills so the vineyard workers could get up to the vineyards. Now houses go up the hills....and the best part, the steps are still there.


Every morning, I take a hike and the rule is: If there's a staircase, I MUST go up. It's not completely random. I check the map before I go so I have a destination in mind. But many of these staffels are a surprise and I just keep going up. I have to, it's the RULE.


This is the greatest Staffel I've found so far. There are 4 parts to it and what you see here is just a small part. Total number of steps? 403!!! Wow. I love it! The topmost part has 193 steps...and these are no little baby steps....these steps have huffin 'n puffin steps. I have to remember to NOT wear my coat on these Staffel Adventures.



This is the Willy Reichert Staffel.....he was an actor....a HUMORIST actor. Yeah, Willy, it's pretty funny, ja, all those steps....you're a clown!





Here's another piece of Willy.....whoa babies!

Anna and I went up our very first Staffel before I started to count. It goes up to the Eugenplatz. A little plaza with statues.....of course.....and a dynamite overlook of the city.


Anna made it to the top!



OK, this is a private set of steps up to someone's house. Yeah, that's right, they park in that garage and walk up those steps every day. And take their trash down to the bottom too.




Looking down, looking down......





You always hafta come back down....






The views are supercallifragilist..........very very awesome!







This overlooks some still-existing grapevines. Sometimes there are walkways from one overlook to another......actually, just one long overlook. What a great way to make a stab at working off that Brat, Bretzel and Bier! Actually, Brat, Bretzel and Bier is the official Breakfast of Munich......lots and lots of steps worth in that breakfast!






This is the other Rule. NO taking the elevator up to the 5th floor apartment. No! You can't do it! Not even if you're tired.....not even if you're carrying groceries. OK, well maybe if you're carrying your suitcase full of clean laundry, but that's the only exception. Otherwise, up you go.....75 more steps.










No comments: